I’m incredibly excited to be participating in the One Game A Month competition / extended game jam this year. As the title suggests, the goal is to create and publish at least one game per month for the entire of 2013. This post is the first in a series detailing my progress creating One Game A Month throughout the year.
For January I have decided to create a puzzle game. My one-sentance minimum viable product is as follows;
Create a 2 player turn-based remake of the pencil and paper game Dots and Boxes that runs on the iPad 2, and is created with HTML5 and JS technologies.
In addition to the above, I aim to also achieve the following goals;
- Have sounds and background music present in the game
- Run on Chrome and Safari desktop browsers
- Support touch, mouse and keyboard controls
- Have a simple AI for 1 player play
- Keep a running developer diary of the progress on the game
This minimum product will require several significant steps, not the least of which will be procuring a testing device.
Provided everything works and I blaze right past my goals with flying colors weeks ahead of schedule, the following stretch goals will be considered;
- Add tweaks / alternate forms of gameplay
- Speed mode - only 2 seconds per turn
- Fractal mode - capturing a box zooms in to a smaller playing field within that box that must first be won
- Some form of real-time non turn-based mode
- Add online multiplayer play
- Launch to the chrome web store
- Also support and release on the iPad Mini